When 25% of all marriages are destination weddings, knowing how to pack a wedding dress for travel is a key skill for brides-to-be!
However packing your dress in to your checked luggage can be risky, as all too often baggage gets lost. What could be worse than finding out your dress has made its way to other side of the world, leaving you to walk down the aisle in the sarong you packed for your honeymoon?
If you don’t have the spare budget to book your dress it’s own seat on the place (if only!), we recommend packing your dress in to your hand luggage – although with the size restrictions placed by many airlines this does come with it’s own challenges! But it can be done, so read on for our simple step-by-step guide on how to pack a wedding dress for travel.
How to Pack a Wedding Dress for Travel
What you’ll need: your dress (obviously), a suitcase, a clean surface, a polythene cover and some tissue paper.
Start by laying your dress flat on a clean, flat surface or the floor.
Grab your travel case and a polythene cover – we will use this to keep the wedding gown compact, as it makes it easier to fold the gown up into the case and will also help protect from any damage. Sealing up the ends of the cover will also create an air cushion that can help prevent wrinkles.
When you purchase your wedding dress from Fross Wedding collections we will provide you with a polythene cover for the journey home.
Line the travel case with tissue paper for extra protection. You can never be too careful!
When placing the gown into the travel case, it’s always best to start with the train first; gently folding in the sides before folding it over itself, leaving the bodice facing upwards. Place some tissue paper between each layer.
Finally, when zipping up the travel case, be sure to apply (gentle) pressure on the dress cover. This will release any air left in the polythene and make it easier to close your case.
It’s as simple as that!
Fross’s Top Tips for Travelling with Your Wedding Dress
- If possible, find a hard-cover suitcase that will provide even more protection. Then you won’t have to worry about other people’s bags being placed on top of yours in the overhead lockers, which could wrinkle or damage your dress.
- Take your time and be patient while packing your wedding dress for travel. You definitely don’t want to get any of the gown or cover caught in the zips of your suitcase! Why not practice with another item of clothing, such as a large winter coat, first?
- Ideally you want to avoid putting any liquids in the same bag in case of spillage, and also shoes as they may rub against the delicate fabric of your dress.Clearly label your suitcase with your name, destination accommodation and contact details, just in case someone takes it by accident or you misplace it.
- As soon as you get to your destination, carefully remove the dress from the suitcase and hang it up. It’s worth checking with your hotel before you travel to see whether they have the facilities to steam or press your dress if there are any wrinkles.
- Invest in a travel size steamer so you can de-wrinkle the dress yourself on arrival.
We hope you’ve found this guide helpful, reach out to us on social media if you have your own tips and to show us your packing handiwork!